The Motherhood Battleground

| On
Wednesday, October 22, 2014

When did the motherhood community become so ugly?

Before I was mother I assumed motherhood was a community where moms would encourage, support and offer help to fellow moms. A tight knit sisterhood where the love for our children joined us together. Lifetime friendships would be formed on the playground while our children had fun together.  Judging didn't exist, well because we all have our own way of doing things.

The harsh reality of it is motherhood is a journey often traveled alone. A journey where you are judged for your every parenting decision big or small. You are questioned while pregnant if you are going to breastfeed. Some peoples motives pure and are just curious, others are ready to shove there opinion down your throat why breast is best. So many facts and questions are thrown your way. Are you making or buying baby food? Are you going to cloth diaper? That carrier is bad for their hips. Sleep training is bad or you aren't sleep training?

When did it become ok to publicly bash a mom? To make judgmental memes and share them for the world to see? Judgments are made in the form of "helpful" comments on photos when a child is strapped incorrectly, so now you see disclaimers made from mothers that she knows he/she is strapped incorrectly for a photo to avoid scrutiny.

Social media is a blessing and a curse for a mothers emotions. On one hand you feel love, support and encouragement from the snippets of someones life. On your worst days seeing a happy smiling face gives you hope that tomorrow will be better. But on the other hand that snippet into someones life can make you feel guilt. You find yourself questioning why your days don't go this way, why your house is not spotless like hers, why you aren't able to enjoy a hot cup of coffee while your kids play quietly or why you aren't making that amazing meal for your babe. What you don't see is the space beyond the parameters of that Instagram shot, you have no idea what is going on behind that mom. Her day may be in shambles but there was a moment of joy and she needed to share it to boost her spirits. I know I've had that day, that picture.

Want to know a little secret from a mother of a 19 month old? Motherhood is HARD. The sleepless nights wear on you physically and emotionally coupled with constantly being needed and you feel exhausted more days than you are willing to admit. Admitting to that can make you feel weak, like you have failed or that you are a bad mom. I have put on that happy face, pretending like my life is blissful, that it's easy and all comes naturally. When we gave birth we weren't given a manual how to live our the days beyond the hospital walls.

Seeing things online just gets me so fired up! Why has motherhood turned into a battle ground? Why do we feel so much guilt for not doing things like her?

Mama you are beautiful, you are strong, you are worthy! You are doing an amazing job raising your baby! No one knows how to care for them like you do because you know them like no other. You are their safe place, their everything, you are their mother! There is no need to feel guilt or shame for asking for help. I love this post that Andrea wrote, it truly does take a village. Not all days are picturesque or easy. Some days you feel like your on top of the world, buy maybe the next you are scrambling to keep things together. You know what? That is OK and completely typical of the day in the life of a mom.

If you are reading this post then you know that there is a beautiful blogging community among moms. I cherish this community so very much. We aren't alone in motherhood, we don't have to be at war. So today when you see a mama smile at her, lets bring back a sense of community in our real lives too!
16 comments on "The Motherhood Battleground"
  1. Yes yes yes!! I loved everything about this post. Thank you for sharing your heart, Ileana!! I'm definitely sharing this one! :) New mom's need to hear this. The blogging community is so incredible, I feel like it's the support group of women I want in my everyday life.


    Oh and the car seat buckle thing drives me CRAZY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Thanks for sharing friend! The seasons of motherhood change so much, too. Our emotions, hormones, highs and lows. I feel like right now we are going through a really great season with Ben, but two months ago it was really rough. It's so easy to get down on ourselves, but knowing there are a lot of truly good women out there always keeps me positive. I also *try* and remember that most people say/write/do things out of good intentions (although not all, hahaha!).


    I also agree about IG...it's my absolute favorite form of social media, but I do find that I unfollow many 'big name' bloggers due to the reasons you listed. I do love beautiful photos and beautiful moments, but also ones that are real. It's a tough balance, for sure.


    ALSO, are you and your husband ever going to make it to Seattle!?
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this so much- spoke to my heart. There really is so much judgement. It can creep in and make you so self conscious! I am trying to be more confident in what I decide and if someone does it different that's awesome for them. I can tend to feel bad and then try to change how I do thigs- but that is so wrong. Just need to be myself- thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ..."we weren't given a manual on how to live our days outside the hospital walls." Say it again, mama. Such truth. It's hard but I love how we are so blessed to have a wonderful community online. Definitely trying to bridge that online/real life gap of mama happiness, but I don't know why it's so hard. I wish we could celebrate each other all time time - we're all in these crazy journey together. Great post - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you :) Oh Chelsea, we went through that phase, it's rough! No need to feel shameful for nursing LB to sleep still. M is 19 months and I still nurse him before his nap and bedtime, those are his only nursing sessions of the day. I used to feel the need to explain myself, I don't anymore :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for reading Ann :) We are all in this crazy fun journey together!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for reading Keri :) Be confident mama, you are doing great with your boys! I did that more than a few times because the grass was looking greener on the other side of my mama friends lives. I realized that their methods worked great for their babies, it wasn't a universal solution :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for reading Andrea :) So true about the seasons of motherhood, just when you get comfy things start changing! I'm with you on loving some real moments in the mix of the beautiful. I'll email you about Seattle :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much Tawnya :) I'm amazing how truly amazing this blogging community is, I had no idea before! To think that at one point in my life online friendships seems weird, now I cherish them :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So true and such a great post! We all need to encourage each other as mom's and lift each other up. No day is perfect, never will be!! Some days, like you said, we as mommy's are just tired and mentally exhausted. We need to be refreshed, not judged and not pounded upon. I have had moments when I feel that I am getting judged by peoples questions regarding being a mommy. Some people are sincere, others, just don't get it, lol. Great post. Here's to all the awesome mommy's that bust their butt! Yay! ;) Cindy from www.inspirememama.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL!! Your car seat buckle comment made me laugh,... true!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So true- thank you for your encouragement. Excited to read more of your blog

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looooooved this. It's all so true. I get so upset sometimes with the questions I'm asked by other moms. It's like no matter what you do, you'll never get it "right" according to someone. And I love how you pointed out that we never know what's behind a mom who is taking a photo for Instagram. I've done that too...taken a cute photo when right behind me is all the mess I shoved out of the way to get the photo for Instagram. And those photos DO help us moms feel more productive and proud of our days than maybe we are in that moment. We just need to remember that NO MOM has it easy. Awesome post!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much Jessica :) The shoving that goes on for those darn photos. We should really post a picture of the mess we made to get the perfect shot :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this post! So beautifully put. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete




Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature