Breastfeeding Essentials

| On
Tuesday, October 29, 2013
Aden + anais swaddle | Aladdin Mason Tumbler | Lansinoh Lanolin | Nursing Tank | Lansinoh Disposable Nursing Pads | Medela Tendercare Hyrogel | Nursing Bra | Medela Pump In Style

I am really passionate about breastfeeding. It is another amazing connection with your child outside the womb. I encourage every mother to at least try breastfeeding, you never know you may just love it! I exclusively breastfed my son up until last month when I started making him baby food. Currently M eats 2 solid meals a day and continues to breastfeed every 2 hours. That little man can eat!

In order to be successful you really need some essential things to help you, especially in the beginning. The first 3 weeks are the hardest and it might be tempting to throw in the towel because oh.my.goodness it hurts! Just when you thought you were done being in loads of pain giving birth, you have a very hungry newborn nursing round the clock putting your girls through pain you never knew existed! You may dread each feeding, bleed a little but I promise you it is so worth it once you get past those first few weeks.

Lets begin shall we....

Nursing Cover: 
My amazing Mother sewed me three nursing covers that I used for the first 3 months whenever I was away from home. As my son grew he wanted to start playing peek a boo and those covers weren't cutting it anymore. I use these swaddle blankets tucked in my bra straps and wrap it around my son who is also very distracted eater.

Water: 
W a t e r is so important. You have to stay hydrated it keeps your supply up, your supply is liquid gold. Don't cry over spilled milk, unless it's breastmilk then you may shed a tear you worked hard for that!

Lanolin:
This will be your BFF #1! Use this after every feeding and it will give you some much needed relief and the best part is you don't need to wipe it off before your baby eats next. 

Nursing Tank: 
I love these nursing tanks from Target. I use them to sleep in and in the beginning paired with a nursing bra so my whole side wasn't exposed. I have since found a solution that doesn't expose my side without have 2 sets of clips per side which just takes too much time when your baby is hungry. 

Nursing Pads:
I love these disposable nursing pads they are soft, absorbent and you can't even tell that they are there. 

Tendercare Hyrogel:
Introducing BFF #2. These lovelies will cool down your nipples if you so happen to get engorged adding insult to injury to your already sore girls. 

Nursing Bra:
This is hands down the best nursing bra! I am not one who would even think to go with a seamless bra but while trying them on the amazing woman who helped me at A Pea in a Pod said I needed to try this one out. It is comfortable and surprisingly supportive!

Breast Pump:
I have never actually used this pump, I use a hand pump, but if you must pump this is the way to go. When I say exclusively breastfed I truly mean it, M has never drank out of a bottle. I hyper lactate and followed the advice of my lactation nurse and pump only when necessary since I stay home. Instead of using a bottle we give M breastmilk in a sippy cup (started at 3 months) when needed. 

I would love to answer any questions if you have any.

3 comments on "Breastfeeding Essentials"
  1. EEps this whole time I thought I was following you! Corrected it - now have ya on my bloglovin list!

    ps - wondering if you're up for a button swap?

    .:Marta:.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE nursing camis!! Wearing one right now. :) Seriously the best.

    XO/Lena @ Root&Blossom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I would have had a nursing cover for my first two babies, it has made nursing my last two so much easier in public. Hope your week is going well ;)
    Sabrina
    http://4mykiddos.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete




Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature