Sleeping Through The Night

| On
Monday, January 12, 2015

Exactly a year ago in December I was at the lowest point in motherhood. My son was 8 months old and not sleeping. When I say not sleeping I actually mean NOT sleeping; no naps and only at night for about 45 minute increments longer if I held him. It was insane and I felt like a complete failure. You can read about it here.

Sleep deprivation makes you a temporary crazy person. You become envious of friends bragging about kids being good sleepers from the start or those who have been sleeping through the night since they were 4 months old. It's not like when someone gets a new phone and you have phone envy as they show off their shiny new toy and the amazing quality of their pictures. I'm talking when your up in the middle of the night and you only have one eye and it won't cooperate, so you run into things walking to your babes room you wonder how it feel to sleep like said person. Then you realize it's the lack of sleep talking not you.

I hesistated writing this post for a while because, when you share about a sleep victory, somehow your child who can't read, mysteriously finds out about your celebration. They decide to change things up on you and all of a sudden put you in your place reminding you that they kind of control your sleep for while. So with that being said I can officially say M has been sleeping through the night for 10 months. This post is long overdue, it has ben sitting in my drafts for a while. This post is for me to look back on as to when he started sleeping through the night. This victory has made me whole again. 13 months of broken sleep is rough!

We did nothing magical, totally let him reach this milestone on his own with the help of some sleep training. You can read about our sleep battle here. I was so against sleep training, said I would never do it. Little something I learned, never say never in motherhood. How you think you feel at one moment about something, can completely change and you will eat your words. So we did modified sleep training and it worked for us.

I don't have an answer as to when your child will meet this milestone. If you aren't here yet, hang in there mama it's only a matter of time :)
13 comments on "Sleeping Through The Night"
  1. This is awesome! I remember feeling exactly how you felt! Sydney didn't sleep through the night until after she turned three! When she finally did I was SO HAPPY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The worst. Confession, I remember sobbing one night holding Raisin just wishing he could sleep without having to make some ninja transfer into his crib, or rocking him or driving...those were the days. We did get a sleep consultant because I was at my whits end. She could have charged $5000 during that time of deliriousness. Best money spent, but training isn't for the weak...I cried more than the Raisin did. But now we're ALL totally happy and it's paid off! Glad he;s sleeping now though..makes life so much easier!


    .:Marta:.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on him sleeping! Sleep deprivation is no fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Amanda. No it is not, not even a little bit haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Marta, sleep training was my last effort. One of the moms in my moms group hired a consultant, I considered it if CIO didn't work. I was a mess, I lost weight, I cried all the time...I completely understand what you were going through. So glad we are beyond that!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How did you manage for 3 years mama? You rock!! I know as they get older it's a little easier.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's great news! Our eldest is 2.5 years old and still wakes up several times during the night. Plus we have a one year old who doesn't sleep through the night either. It is hard at times but we get through. Hoping that they will both get there soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both my kids are horrible sleepers so I feel you! (and I am glad to hear your little one is sleeping through the night now!) My son is 6 now and sleeps great, but it wasnt always that way. Now my daughter, who is almost 2 is also a sucky sleeper. I've tried it all.. but like I did with my son.. I just have to wait it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lol! You know how you get used to less sleep when they are newborns? It was kind of like that... Just extended for way too long! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my that sounds rough! Hoping magical sleep things happen soon in your house :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lauren I always assumed kids were great sleepers because of the phrase "sleep like a baby" so not always the case! Hoping your daughter starts sleeping good soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My son is over two and still waking up! It's now only once a night because once he wakes up I go sleep with him in a big bed. Sleep deprivation is hard! I'm so glad yours is finally sleeping through the night and that he did that on his own!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's been over 3 years and my son still doesn't sleep through the night! I just keep telling myself that at some point it will happen....just hopefully soon!

    ReplyDelete




Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature