Homemade Playdough

| On
Monday, March 02, 2015
I have a love hate relationship with playdough, I know that I'm not the only mother of a toddler who feels this way. You see sometimes there is more consuming of said dough than playing going on, which leads to a temporary playdough ban. My mom made a variation of this recipe for my brother and I when we were young, it is seriously the best recipe and lasts FOREVER if stored properly.

Lately I'm on the loving end of play dough watching M create things with his tiny little hands. Today he is going on 3 hours napping so I made a fresh batch to surprise him to play with when he gets up.


Here's what you need:

1 cup of flour
1 cup of water
1/4 cup of salt
1 tablespoon of oil (I've used canola, vegetable and coconut and they all work great)
2 teaspoons of cream of tartar
Food coloring

How you make it:
  • Combine all ingredients in a pot 
  • Add a few drops of desired food coloring, mix well
  • Stir over medium heat until a ball is formed
  • Remove play dough from pot and allow it to cool before playing with it
*Store in an airtight container*

See where I'm linking up here.

Let me know if you try this :)
6 comments on "Homemade Playdough"
  1. I've been wanting to make play dough so glad you posted this! My son loves it and would love this

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is really easy, enjoy :) I want to make scented playdough next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely a class parenting recipe! What I've found with playdough isn't that it gets eaten but that it gets on/in everything - especially if you have carpets anywhere handy.

    Thanks for linking up at Turn It Up Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have hardwood floors which makes clean up easy. I think I would probably go crazy if we had carpet trying to pick little pieces of playdough out :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on being featured at this weeks Turn It Up Tuesday! I can't wait to see what you link up this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love homemade playdough, it feels so much better than the store bought stuff!! And actually this recipe is almost exactly like the one I use, if not the same. It DOES last forever if stored properly. I love the color of yours, I need to buy more pretty shades of food coloring.

    ReplyDelete




Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature